When considering whether to become FSC certified, as you would expect, printers have a lot of questions. The number one and two questions are, “Why should I become FSC certified?” and “What are the benefits?”. Here are my answers in the form of a top 10 list. There are many more, but these are the most important in my book. Feel free to add your opinion on additional benefits.
- Just Do the Right Thing Regardless of the Reward. FSC gives an assurance that future generations will be able to enjoy the benefits of the forest. Need we say more?
- Your Customers Prefer Green. According to the inaugural BBMG Conscious Consumer Report, nearly nine in ten Americans say the words “conscious consumer” describe them well and are more likely to buy from companies that manufacture energy efficient products (90%), promote health and safety benefits (88%), support fair labor and trade practices (87%) and commit to environmentally-friendly
practices (87%), if products are of equal quality and price.
- ROI…It’s in There Somewhere. You probably will not be able to track all the orders you win or save because you are FSC certified, but you will most likely retain existing business and get some new orders because of your FSC certification status. All you need to do is get the word through your web site and marketing materials. The more you sell and promote FSC certified products, the better the results.
- You Will Be Very Cool. An FSC certificate label is an effective way to get public and consumer recognition of your responsible practices. This gives you street cred(ibility) with customers and business partners, as well as financial institutions and watchdog
organizations. Everyone will think you are the coolest printer on the block.
- Play Both Offense and Defense. FSC certification helps to protect your brand and reputation and it allows you to
access and service highly environmentally sensitive customers. Increasingly, buyers specify FSC certified products.
- Public Trust. Being FSC certified shows that you comply with the highest social and environmental standards on the market. As public concerns about the paper use and the state of the world’s forests and timber resources increases, FSC provides you with a credible solution to complex environmental and social issues.
- End Greenwashing. Many printers claim they are using sustainable paper, but do they really know where and how their paper was made? FSC Chain of Custody certification tracks the FSC certified material through the production processes all the way to the end user. No smoke and mirrors used here. FSC is the real deal.
- FSC Carries No Baggage. FSC is the only wood certification scheme endorsed by the major environmental charities, including WWF, Greenpeace and The Woodland Trust.
- You Are Not Married to FSC. FSC has an extremely high retention rate for certified printers. This is because they get to see the value of FSC firsthand. However, there is no stigma attached if you want to leave the program. You simply decline your annual renewal and we’ll still be friends.
- Try It, You’ll Like It. You can become FSC certified for the all-inclusive fee of $1895 through the InGreen Program offered by Printers Green Resource LLC. The marketing benefits alone are worth more than that. Once certified, you have a full year to kick the tires and see if FSC certification is right for you. That’s not a lot to invest to have access to the most trusted and recognized paper certification
program in the world.